Tuesday 12 August 2014

City 16 done: Sydney

Last Sunday was the annual City2Surf race in Sydney. It is a 14km road race that takes participants from Hyde Park in the heart of the city out to the world famous Bondi beach.

The race started back in 1971 and has become larger each year to become the world's largest fun run. This year there were 82,000 entrants which is insane! I have never been in a race that big before!

So the race would fit perfectly as my Sydney effort in my Olympic Challenge.

At the expo I picked up my number and realised that I was in the 4th start wave. I have to admit that I was a little nervous about starting that far back as I knew the crowds would be big and therefore it may affect my performance as I may need to dodge around people. I asked if it were possible to move up a wave but was told that it wasn't and if anyone tried to enter the incorrect "pen" on the day they would be disqualified. Harsh but fair eh?!

So with that in mind I realised I would just have to enjoy the day and take in the atmosphere of the event. It was sure to be a good one with that many people involved.

On race day it was an early start and despite it being winter here in the southern hemisphere it wasn't too cold although a few locals did think I was a little crazy only being in a vest whilst they waited patiently for the start gun in their jackets!

The race was very well organised and whilst I was in the 4th start group they were actually leaving 20 minutes between each wave which meant that provided I was at the start of my group then I would get a good start and it wouldn't be as crowded as I had thought.

The atmosphere at the start was excellent. Red Foo was kicking out the tunes and Commonwealth Marathon winner from a few weeks back in Glasgow Michael Shelley was due to set us off with the start gun. The elites went off, then the top charity fundraisers followed by another group and then it was my turn.

We made our way away from the park down a hill which sadly suddenly turned into an uphill! I had been warned that "Heartbreak Hill" was slap bang in the middle of the race but nobody had told me about this first one! WTF?! If this one didn't merit a mention what the hell was Heartbreak Hill going to be like?! I made it over the first hill and we carried on through the city and past some of the lovely bays that were filled with numerous yachts.

The course was a lot more undulating than I had anticipated but as we neared the halfway point we got a look back over the harbour towards the harbour bridge and the opera house. Amazing and definitely an energy boost! So being half way through it meant only one thing - Heartbreak Hill was here!

So after a little research I had found out that it was not necessarily the fact it was steep but more the fact it went on for 2km and was windy which meant at each corner when you thought you reached the end you in fact had more to climb. Having now done the race I can concur it met all of the above. It hurt...a lot. I managed to keep running throughout but I definitely slowed down.

Once passed the 8km mark I knew the hard part was over and we were into the second part of the course and on the home straight. I had at this point caught up with the previous group to me and did have to run on the pavement to ensure I didn't get in the way of other runners to overtake but I was thoroughly enjoying the race.

The sidelines were packed with supporters and soon enough Bondi was in sight. We came down the hill to the beach and over the finish line I went. My result was as per the below:

Overall time: 55 minutes 51 seconds
Place: 646th out of 67,527 finishers

My average speed for each kilometer before the hill was 3 minutes 42 seconds versus 4 minutes 23 seconds during the hill and 4 minutes 10 seconds post hill. It clearly took its toll!

The finish at the beach was fantastic and seeing runners cool their feet of in the waves amongst surfers was excellent!

I love this city and event and hope to be back someday to run it again (despite the 9 minutes of heartbreak in the middle!)

16 cities complete and now it is on to Melbourne to get 17 under the belt! Until next week!

Me with the traditional flag:



Runners cooling off their feet Bondi style:


No comments:

Post a Comment